Guide to the main HMRC payroll forms for small businesses

When you run a small business, either as a sole trader, partnership or limited company, there will always be a number of HMRC forms you will need to be aware of. Although your accountant will typically take care of many of your form-filling duties, we have summarised what the most common forms are used for in this article.

For in-depth details, visit the HMRC site, and always check with your accountant first, if you are unsure about the information you are required to submit.


This form, which will be familiar to most, is issued to employees when they leave a job. It shows how much income tax, and National Insurance Contributions have been deducted from the individual’s gross salary during the current tax year. When an employee starts a new job, they should provide the new employer with Parts 2 & 3 of the form and retain Part 1.

Download P45 here – PAYE form: P45


When a new employee starts a new job, but doesn’t have a P45, a P46 should be completed by the new employer. This form will also be used if the employee is working for the first time, if a P45 has been lost, of if your new employee is continuing to work for another employer simultaneously.

Download P46 here –

P46 (Car)

This form should be used if one of your employees uses a company car, or if the vehicle is changed at any stage. You should also use this form if the employee is no longer provided with a company car, of if fuel is provided.

Download P46 (Car) here –


If the tax code of one of your employees changes at any time during the tax year, HMRC will send you this form (as the employer).


As the employer, HMRC will send a P9 if an employee’s tax code is due to change from the start of the following tax year.


A certificate to be provided to all employees at the end of each tax year, it details the total income tax and NIC deductions made during the year. You must issue all employees with a P60 by 31st May.

Sample P60 Form here – PAYE forms: P45, P60, P11D


This form shows the taxable value of all expenses and benefits provided to employees who have earned £8,500 or more during the tax year (and all directors if you run a limited company). All P11D forms should be submitted to HMRC by 6th July, and you must provide a copy to all relevant employees (see limk above).


This form is used to show the taxable value of expenses and benefits provided to non-directors who are employed by your business, and have earned less than £8,500 in the year.


This is a deductions working sheet which is used during each tax year – a copy for each employee.

You can read HMRC’s guide to these end of year payroll forms here.


This is an end of year summary, which should be completed for each employee for whom a P11 has been used. The P60 certificate forms part of the P14.


To be completed by 19th May each year, the employers’ annual return details how much income tax and NICs have been deducted for each employee during the course of the previous tax year.

Self Assessment Tax Return

Personal tax return. This should be completed if you have received a form from HMRC, or if you have received income on which tax needs to be paid. Paper returns must be returned by 31st October each tax year, and online returns by 31st January. In both cases, all tax owing must also be paid by 31st January.

You can access the dedicated HMRC Self Assessment site here.

More help on ByteStart

ByteStart brings you help and tips on a wide range of tax issues for business owners, some of our most popular guides include;

And these guides focusing on cutting the amount of corporation tax you pay;

Bytestart Limited

Comments are closed.