How to set up and run a small business

Leaderboard – Run – Sales

You are here: Home » Run a Business » Sales & Marketing » How do I get people to visit my small business website?

How do I get people to visit my small business website?

October 6, 2011

This is probably the most asked question by small business owners who have an online presence. They may well have created a wonderful, insightful site, full of information… but no one is visiting.

Many small business people who have limited experience of online marketing will often expect Google to suddenly provide them with courtesy Top 10 rankings for their favourite phrases, simply due to the fact that they have uploaded a new site. This couldn’t be further from the truth.

Factors For Traffic Building Success

Designing your site is probably just 10% of the battle for visitors. The other 90% is comprised roughly of the following elements:

1) The quality and relevance of the content on your website
2) How often your update your website with fresh content
3) How many relevant sites link to yours
4) How old your site is (domain name longevity)
5) The phrases you target in your web marketing activities

You can add perhaps 50 other factors you could list (such as the use of “bold” text within your pages, or the “alt” text you use when you post images within your HMTL code) which may influence the success of a page on Google, but the key factors remain the same.

In a Nutshell

In essence, if you have a well designed relevant site, updated regularly with new information, and you have plenty of other sites linking back to you (sites with a similar theme) – you are half way there already.

Maintaining your site over time, and consistently receiving links back from other industry sites is essential, as many website owners go all out to create the perfect site, but then tend to stop updating it after a certain time.