How to set up and run a small business

Leaderboard – Tax

You are here: Home » Tax / Accounts » Tax Guides » Guide to National Insurance Contributions (NICs)

Guide to National Insurance Contributions (NICs)

April 30, 2016

National Insurance is a deduction from earnings, set up originally to fund various State benefits such as the NHS, the State pension and other welfare-related schemes.

In reality, it is just another tax. In fact, as standard income tax rates have remained constant for many years, NI rates have soared.

In this guide we look at how National Insurance works, and what your National Insurance Contributions (NICs) will be as a small business person. The guide has been updated with the NIC rates for the 2016/17 tax year.

Overview of the different National Insurance types

Class 1

Paid by employees and employers. These are calculated as a percentage of your wages, up to an upper earnings limit. This is the most common NIC type. The primary contribution is paid by the employee, the secondary by the employer.

Class 1A or 1B

A ‘special rate’ paid by your employer if you get certain benefits with your job, such as a company car. The amount you need to pay is worked out on the value of taxable benefits you have received during the tax year. It is payable in the July after the end of the tax year.

Class 2

A compulsory rate paid by the self-employed. You are exempt if your earnings are below a certain limit.

The government announced in the 2016 Budget that Class 2 NICs would be abolished in April 2018. On announcing the axeing of the tax, Chancellor George Osborne said it would bring, “a simpler tax system and a tax cut of over £130 for each of Britain’s 3 million strong army of the self-employed.”

Class 3

Voluntary Contributions. You can pay these to help fill gaps in your national insurance contribution record. HMRC may get in touch with you to suggest to top up your contributions.

Class 4

You may have to pay Class 4 contributions if you are self-employed and your profits are over a certain amount each year.

NICs for sole traders (self-employed)

Sole traders pay income tax on their business profits (as self-employed individuals). In addition to income tax, self employed workers are liable to pay National Insurance Contributions (NIC’s).

Sole traders pay Class 2 and Class 4 NIC’s and are required to pay contributions from the first day of self-employment.

NIC’s are deducted from your gross earnings, assuming the figures are above the lower earnings threshold.

Individuals who run a business via a partnership arrangement are taxed in the same way as sole traders.

Class 2 National Insurance Contributions are £2.80 per week for the current tax year (2016/17), and are paid by anyone earning £5,965 or more through self-employment during the tax year.

Class 4 National Insurance Contributions are paid on any profits you make as a self employed person. The rate paid for the 2016/17 tax year is 9% on all earnings between £8,060 and £43,000, and 2% on earnings above £43,000.

You can view the full current NI rates and allowances on the website here.

NICs for Limited company directors

Unlike sole traders, for tax purposes, if you are a director of a limited company, you are an ’employee’ of the company. You are therefore liable to pay Class 1 NIC’s on your earnings. The limited company is also liable to pay Class 1 NIC’s as your ’employer’.

Employees (Primary Class 1 Contribution) pay 12% on earnings between £155 and £827 per week, and 2% above £827 per week for the 2016/17 tax year.

Employers (Secondary Class 1 Contribution) pay 13.8% on earnings above £156 per week in 2016/17.

These NIC deductions should be paid to HMRC by the 22nd of each month (19th if you are paying by post). You may be able to pay quarterly if you usually owe HMRC less than £1,500 every month. Contact HMRC’s payment enquiry helpline to request this.

Limited Company directors and other employees may also have to pay Class 1A NIC’s for ‘benefits in kind’ such as a company car. Your accountant will declare such benefits each year on your P11D form.

For more details you can read HMRC’s Guide to NI for Company Directors.

More help on tax matters for small businesses

For help and guidance on other tax issues affecting small businesses, try some of ByteStart’s popular tax guides;

And these will help you be as tax-efficient as possible;