How to set up and run a small business

You are here: Home » Tax / Accounts » Tax Guides » How to register your company for corporation tax

How to register your company for corporation tax

October 6, 2011

When you set up a limited company, one of the first things you need to do is register to pay Corporation Tax. In this guide, we look at how the registration process works.

What is Corporation Tax?

According to the HMRC definition, Corporation Tax is a tax on the taxable profits of limited companies and other organisations including clubs, societies, associations and other unincorporated bodies.

After forming your company, Companies House will inform HMRC of the company’s existence, and you should receive an introductory pack explaining what Corporation Tax is, and how you need to register to pay your tax liabilities.

You can find out more in our small business guide to Corporation Tax.

What about my accountant?

Chances are, you may already have hired a small business accountant to take care of all your tax affairs, in which case – as your ‘agent’ – they will typically take care of your Corporation Tax paperwork, as well as any other duties.

You can find out how to appoint an ‘agent’ via the HMRC site here. You can authorise your agent online, or alternatively fill in Form 64-8 which is also available from the HMRC site.

How to register

You, or your agent, must register your limited company to pay corporation tax via HMRC Form CT41G. This will provide details about your company and its directors, and the date you intend to use as the last day of your first accounting year, usually the ‘accounting reference date’ you have agreed with Companies House (known to HMRC as ‘the date to which the company intends to prepare accounts’).

If your limited company has not started trading, simply fill in the Dormant Company insert within Form CT41G.

You can access Form CT41G here if you don’t already have a copy.

For subsequent steps, and how to pay your business taxes, read our guide to Corporation Tax, and for the ultimate resource, try HMRC’s Corporation Tax section.