When you form a new limited company, one of the three documents you need to submit is the Articles of Association.
The other forms you need to submit to Companies House together with the Articles of Association are; Form IN01 and the Company Memorandum of Association. You can read more about what information is provided by these forms in our dedicated article here.
What are the Articles of Association?
The Articles of Association of a limited company outline how the company will be run on an ongoing basis. It forms the ‘constitution’ of the company. The Articles are broken down into the following key areas:
- Directors powers and responsibilities
- Decision-making by directors
- Appointment of directors
- Shares and distributions
- Decision making by shareholders
- Administrative Arrangements such as indemnity and insurance
Since 1st October 2009 new ‘model articles’ were introduced which apply by default to new limited companies. Unless you choose to submit your own Articles of Association for whatever reasons, the model articles will apply.
Most ByteStart readers will form companies limited by shares, whereas other organisations, such as charities and not for profit groups, may set up companies limited by guarantee. Different model Articles of Association apply to each type of company.
You can view and download a copy of the Model Articles of Association from Companies House here.
Many small business owners set up limited companies via formation agents, or their accountants. Our company formations partner has set up thousands of companies for Bytestart visitors over the past 10 years. You can find out more about the fast and friendly service they offer here.
More on starting and running your own business
ByteStart is packed with help and tips on all aspects of starting and running a small business. Check out some of our most popular guides;
- 10 Do’s and Don’ts of writing a business plan
- How to choose the best online accounting software for your new business
- How to create business cards that make a big impression
- ByteStart’s 60-second guide to Value Added Tax (VAT) for start-ups and small businesses
- Which types of insurance must your business have?
Funding your business
- How to maximise your chances of securing a small business loan
- A Guide to ‘Alternative Finance’ – the new funding options for startups and small businesses
- Finding finance for your new business – funding advice for start-ups
- 10 Top tips to ensure your crowdfunding efforts are rewarded
- What to do when the bank says “NO”!
Money & Tax matters
- 10 ways small business owners can pay less tax
- Sole trader tax – a guide for start-ups and the newly self employed
- Dividend tax changes from April 2016 – A summary of the financial effects for small business owners
- ByteStart’s Guide to the main business taxes
- Corporation Tax – How to reduce your bill
Promoting your business
- Making your small business a BIG hit online – A Digital marketing guide for small business owners
- 7 Brilliant branding tips for start-ups
- The “Magic 10” Tips on networking – how the experts build great networks
- How to attract customers from heaven – not clients from hell!
- 10 Top tips for small businesses starting out with social media
- Employers liability insurance – do you need to get cover?
- Becoming an employer – Your responsibilities when you hire staff
- Health & Safety compliance for small businesses – where do you start?
- A Guide to the National Living Wage for small business owners
- Why it’s vital you have clear ‘Terms & Conditions’ for your business