Which types of insurance must your business have in place?

As with owning a car, you are legally required to take out certain insurances when running a business. If you don’t you can be fined heavily and could put your entire operation at risk. It’s also sensible to have some of the many optional business insurance policies available to cushion you from nasty shocks.

With dozens of different types of insurance cover available for businesses, here is ByteStart’s review of the main insurances that businesses ‘must have’, some insurance cover you ‘should have’, and several ‘could have’ policies.

Business insurance policies you are legally required to have

Employers’ liability insurance

Once you take on your first employee, you are required by law to take out employers’ liability insurance. This will protect your employees if they fall ill or are injured in the course of their work. Your insurance certificate must be displayed where your staff can see it.

You don’t need employer’s liability insurance if your limited company has just one employee, who owns 50% or more of the share capital (i.e. you). If you are a sole trader and do not employ anyone, or you only employ close family members, you should also be exempt.

Even if you don’t have any full-time employees, and just occasionally hire staff or use temps or seasonal workers, you must take out cover.

You can be fined up to £2,500 per day if your business doesn’t have a suitable employers’ liability policy. The size of the potential fine dwarfs the cost of cover so it’s not something you should delay.

Read our Guide to employer’s liability insurance for more detailed information.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is not required by law, but if members of the public come to your premises, or could be hurt in any way by something your business does it’s probably a good idea to have cover.

Depending on the type of business you are in, you might find that some organisations will require you to have public liability cover before giving you a contract or allowing you to operate on their premises.

For example, if you have a stand at a market, or attend a fair to sell your wares, the organisers may demand you have public liability insurance before they will allow you to attend.

A public liability insurance policy will cover you for any damages claimed, plus legal representation. You’ll find more details in our dedicated guide; What is public liability insurance? – A guide for businesses.

You can also get an instant online public liability quote from our long-term insurance partner, Superscript, pay monthly, with no tie-ins!.

Buildings insurance for your premises

If you own your own commercial premises, you must protect them, just as you do your home. At the most basic level, this means a business buildings insurance policy which will cover any damage to your premises in the event of a fire, flood, or some other catastrophe.

Although it’s not obligatory, it makes sense to take out cover for fixtures and fittings and any stock you might have on your premises. Most commercial property insurance policies will allow you to include these options along with the basic buildings insurance.

Motor vehicle insurance

If you operate company vehicles, you must have at least third party insurance, and preferably fully comprehensive.

Remember employees are less likely to look after their company vehicle, so you may find yourself claiming on your policy more often than you would expect to with a private car.

Industry-specific insurance policies

If you are part of a recognised profession, check with your industry body what insurance policies they insist, or recommend you hold. For example, solicitors are required to carry an insurance policy in order to practice law.

Business insurance policies you should have

Professional Indemnity (PI) insurance

Professional indemnity, or PI insurance, gives professional businesses protection against claims made by their clients, for any damage caused by professional negligence.

Many firms, particularly larger organisations, now require you to have PI cover before they will hire you. With this being common practice in many industries, professional indemnity insurance is effectively a must-have insurance for the majority of contractors, consultants and freelancers.

Even if you’re not required to have it by your clients, it is advisable to have professional indemnity insurance if you offer any kind of service to businesses or the public.

You’ll find more detailed information in ByteStart’s Guide to Professional Indemnity Insurance.

You can get an instant PI quote from our insurance partner, Superscript. Pay monthly, with no annual contract.

Director’s & Officers insurance

Director’s & Officers insurance covers the legal liabilities you have as a director of a limited company and any legal costs if you get something wrong. This type of cover is also frequently referred to as D&O insurance.

Employee travel insurance

If you require your employees to travel abroad, you should get them well insured with a reputable company that will look after them in an emergency. Remember to check their luggage, money and any laptop will be covered.

Product liability cover

If you make, repair or sell products, you could be held liable for any injury or damage caused by defects.

Pollution risk insurance

If you manufacture anything and there’s any risk you might pollute the environment, this will cover the costs of any clean up operation, plus claims against your business.

And a selection of more specific business insurance policies you could buy

Intellectual Property (IP) Insurance

Much of the value of many modern businesses is made up of intangible assets such as Intellectual Property.

If your business is innovative and relies on any patents, trademarks or designs, you might want to consider protecting yourself with Intellectual Property insurance.

Key person insurance

If your business would grind to a halt if you, or another employee, was badly injured or killed, key person insurance will protect the business against loss of revenue while a replacement is found.

Tax investigation cover

This type of insurance will protect your business in the event that HMRC investigates your tax affairs. You can protect the costs of professional representation and even cover any additional tax and penalties that are levied if you lose a case.

This may be particularly useful if you provide professional services via your company. Find out more about IR35 insurance here.

Business continuity insurance

Also called business interruption insurance, this will protect you against any disruption that could lead to loss of revenue, such as a major catastrophe.

You should aim to cover events not already included in your other insurance policies, or where there will be a longer-term disruption (such as total loss of premises).

Trade credit insurance

Will pay out if you have a bad debt. Definitely worth looking at if you sell a small number of high value items.

Glass & sign cover

If you have a shop with a large window or expensive signage, it may not be covered by other policies if it’s destroyed by vandals.

Plant and business equipment cover

If you rely on key expensive machinery, get it insured in case it’s damaged or stolen.

Goods in transit insurance

If you shift large amounts of stock around, this will give you extra protection from accidents or theft.

Money insurance

If you hold large amounts of cash or other valuable documents, this may offer you some protection against loss or theft.

Fidelity guarantee

This cover protects your business against loss of money or stock if one of your employees is dishonest. It’s unlikely to be cost-effective until you have a significant number of employees.

Engineering insurance

Provides cover against electrical or mechanical breakdown of essential equipment.

Getting quotes and buying business insurance

It’s always a good idea to get several quotes. Many insurance websites will give you a quote if you provide some basic details about your business, with no commitment required.

And bear in mind that the cheapest quote may not be the best policy.

If you’d like to get a no-ties business insurance quote, try Superscript. You can get tailored cover just for you – and pay monthly. You could be covered in as little as 10 minutes. Find out more here.

Or, for a business insurance quote from another trusted supplier, try Qdos. Hundreds of ByteStart visitors have taken out a Qdos business insurance policy over the past 12 years.

Last updated: 27th July, 2021

Superscript no-ties business insurance - pay monthly

Tailored just for you + pay monthly. You could be covered in just 10 minutes.

Combine all of your old pensions into one online plan

Sign up in 5 minutes - over 300,000 users, including the Bytestart team!

Tide Business Bank Account - £40 welcome bonus!

Exclusive for Bytestart readers + 12 months' free transfers. Find out more.

FreeAgent Online Accounting - 55% off - ByteStart exclusive!

Brilliant software. Get 55% of your first 6 months, then 10% for life.

Related articles

  • work from home insurance

    Working from home – insurance policy pitfalls to watch out for

    More small business owners are working home than ever. However, one thing that many people don’t think about with their home-based venture is insurance. Existing house insurance policies are designed to cover domestic arrangements, and…

  • sole trader insurance

    Sole trader insurance – what cover should you have in place?

    While nobody likes to think about it, things can and do go wrong when you’re in business, no matter how cautious you are. An employee could get hurt on the job. An unhappy customer could…

  • health insurance

    Private health insurance options for small business owners

    If you’re setting up your own business, you’ll no longer have to answer to an employer or put up with many of the annoyances of being a permanent employee. But, what about the ‘perks’ you…