Skip to content
Home » SA302 – why do I need one, and how do I download mine from HMRC?

SA302 – why do I need one, and how do I download mine from HMRC?

Whether you’re a sole trader or company director, you may have come across the term “SA302” at some point. Your SA302 is an HMRC document that you may need to produce to prove your income for a given tax year.

In this guide, we explore what an SA302 is, why you might need one, and the process for getting hold of it from HMRC.

What is an SA302?

An SA302 is a summary of your self-assessment tax calculations.

When you file a self-assessment tax return (aka Form SA100), either online or on paper, HMRC uses the information you provide to calculate your tax liability for a specific tax year.

The SA302 document summarises this calculation, including details of your income, any tax you owe, and any payments or refunds due.

Why do I need an SA302?

Here are some typical scenarios where you would need to produce your SA302:

  1. Mortgage Applications: Many mortgage lenders in the UK require SA302s as part of their application process. When you apply for a mortgage, lenders need to assess your income to work out if you can afford the loan repayments.
  2. Visa Applications: If you’re a non-UK resident and need to apply for certain types of visas, such as a spouse visa or a Tier 1 entrepreneur visa, you may be asked to provide SA302s to prove your financial stability and income levels.
  3. Proof of Income: SA302s can be used as proof of income for various other purposes, including rental applications, loan applications, and (in some cases) even when applying for a credit card.

How to get a copy of your SA302

Obtaining an SA302 should be relatively straightforward. You have several options:


a. Register for Online Services: If you haven’t already, you’ll need to register for HMRC’s online services. This involves creating an online account and setting up your Government Gateway credentials.

b. Log In: Once you have registered, log in to your online account using your credentials.

Tide Business Bank Account - £50 Cashback!

Simply open an account to qualify + 12 months of free transfers for our visitors! Read our Tide review

c. Request an SA302: From your online account, you can request an SA302 for a specific tax year. HMRC will provide a PDF version that you can download and print.

If you or your accountant have used commercial software, you will need to print your SA302s from within that software application rather than via your personal tax account.

Request by Phone:

a. You can call HMRC’s Self Assessment helpline and request an SA302 to be sent to your registered address. Make sure you have your National Insurance number and other relevant details ready when you call.

It goes without saying that you might experience significant wait times when trying to access the helpline!

Request by Post:

a. If you prefer the traditional route, you can write to HMRC, requesting an SA302 for a specific tax year. Be sure to include your full name, address, National Insurance number, and details of the tax year(s) you require.

FreeAgent - Brilliant Accounting Software

FreeAgent accounting software for sole traders and limited companies. 55% off first 6 months + 30-Day Free Trial.

You can request SA302s for the current tax year and up to four previous tax years.

HMRC typically processes these requests within a few weeks.

What is the difference between the SA302 form and your tax overview?

These are different documents – both showing a breakdown of your income and tax liabilities for a given tax year.

However, as the name suggests, the tax overview is less detailed – showing the money you have paid to HMRC for the tax year in question.

If you’re applying for a new loan, chances are your lender will ask you to provide both documents.

You can access both from your HMRC tax account, or via your accounting software provider.

Further SA302 information

You can read a simple guide to SA302s on the HMRC site.

Read our guide to self-assessment here.