HMRC have provided a range of special schemes that apply to smaller businesses. They are designed to reduce administration, but also (in some cases) to assist cash flow.
Tax & Accounting Guides
- The Key Business TaxesWhich taxes you will encounter as a small business owner
- Top 10 Tax TipsSome no-nonsense pointers from the Bytestart team
- National InsuranceWhich NICs are you liable for as a small business owner?
- Corporation TaxHow limited companies are taxed
- Dividend TaxHow much tax do you have to pay on limited company dividends?
- Entrepreneurs’ ReliefA rare tax concession if you decide to sell your business
- Capital AllowancesTax relief if you buy equipment or invest in R&D
- Business ExpensesWhat can you legitimately claim against your business income?
- Sole Trader TaxSole traders are liable to income tax and NICs on their business income
- Guide to PAYEHow the Paye As You Earn scheme operates
- Business Stamp DutyHow Stamp Duty applies to premises or share transactions
- Business RatesHow Rates are applied to business premises
- Home Office ExpensesWhat can you claim against your business income?
- HMRC PenaltiesOverview of the new HMRC penalties regime
Our Main Tax Guides
- Summary of key tax rates, thresholds and allowances for business owners for 2014/15
- Tax Rates for small business owners 2013/14
- Small business accountants10 tips for choosing the right accountant for your business
- Book Keeping BasicsThe fundamentals of how to keep accurate business records
- HMRC Payroll FormsWhat do the main forms do – including P45,P60 and P11D
- Profit & Loss GuideSummary of what you’ve bought and sold over 12 months
- What is a Balance Sheet?A snapshot of the financial health of your business
- Book Keeping TipsHelpful advice to keep your business books in order
- Value Added TaxAn overview of VAT, and how the tax is collected
- How to Register for VATYou must register if you turnover reaches the VAT threshold
- VAT Cash AccountingYou account for VAT when income is received, rather than by invoice date
- Flat Rate VAT SchemeCreated to simplify the VAT calculations for eligible small businesses
Book Keeping / Accounts
Value Added Tax Guides